Saturday, August 13, 2005

"Tommy Lee Goes To College", There Goes The Neighborhood...Er...School!

‘’Tommy Lee Goes To College’’, There Goes The Neighborhood..Er..School!

By Arlene R. Weiss © Copyright 8/13/2005

All Quotes By Tommy Lee © Copyright www.zap2it.com

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water….da da, da da, da da, da da…no it’s not the shark from ‘’Jaws’’ that might make people run away in fear…rather it’s party hearty Motley Crue drummer rocker and self professed wildman Tommy Lee attending The University Of Nebraska at Lincoln in his own reality TV show, ‘’Tommy Lee Goes To College’’.

Then again while Mom and Dad might want to pull Junior and Juniorette out of college and lock them safely in their bedrooms at home, me thinks a lot of students are going to be running TO the U of N to enroll, when they hear that Lee is a student there! Wow, party up dude!

Well, no, not really. On the 6 episode show which premieres in the USA, Tuesday August 16, on the NBC television Network, the 42 year old Lee actually approached and tackled his schooling (for him) somewhat seriously. (Incidentally, Lee also is a producer of the show, wrote the show’s theme song, and it’s set to be broadcast in timing with the release of Lee’s new solo album, ‘’Tommyland: The Ride’’. Hmmmmmm!)

Lee, in a total reversal for the madman of 80’s metal, proved to be a model student...well for him anyways! Charming, well mannered (must be that anger management course!), astonishing considering Lee’s reputation, renowned for his tabloid adventures including divorces from actresses Pam Anderson and Heather Locklear, several bouts serving jail time for you name it, whose ‘’exploits’’ were self described with exuberance in Motley Crue’s own autobiography tell all, ‘’The Dirt’’ and who recently penned his own hell raising autobiography, ‘’Tommyland’’, who has more body piercings and tattoos than all of Hells Angels combined, and who put the ‘’sex, drugs, and rock and roll’’ into the phrase.

The University’s Chancellor, Harvey Perlman refused to cater to Lee and expected the same top scholastic standards and responsible behavior from Lee, required of the rest of the college’s classmates when he met with Lee. Lee, set out to put on his gentleman’s best.

‘’Oh my God,’’ Lee says. ‘’I was freaking out. One of my favorite parts was when he said, ‘’You know Tommy, we do know a little bit about your history’’, and I was like, ‘’Hopefully, not too much of it.’’ I was like, ‘’What’s this guy going to bring up next?’’ Did you notice all those awkward, silent moments? They were genius. You could hear when my throat would go, ‘’Urp’’. I got read the riot act. But I tell my kids, (Lee has 2 sons with ex-wife Anderson), mostly nobody will turn their backs on you if you’re always polite and courteous’’.

Lee roomed off campus with Matt Ellis, a political science and philosophy student. Lee says ‘’He’s a smart cookie, that kid. He does play a little guitar, and he’s a music fan, so we got along on a musical level. As things progressed during my stay there, he really helped me to stay focused, because there was a lot of studying to do. So Matt and I got along really great. He’s a great kid.’’

Taking classes in chemistry and math, Lee soon found College more of a challenge than touring with the ever infighting and brawling Crue! Struggling with the subjects, Lee, undaunted, hired a tutor and to Lee’s wondrous joy and surprise, one was appointed in the person of Natalie Riedmann, a luscious, beautiful blonde (which the show’s producers played up to the hilt upon Lee and Riedmann’s introduction courtesy of a wind machine blowing Riedmann’s locks and the heralds of a choir singing ‘’Hallelujah’’ (which can also be seen and is also played up big time in the regular promos being aired for the show).

Lee goes on to say, ‘’It was really difficult because she’s so pretty, and I’m trying to pay attention. She’s super smart. (Riedmann is a Pre-Med student with top tier grades). She did get through to me. She actually helped me not so much with chemistry, but with study habits, word associations, certain little drills that would help me remember test answers. But as far as chemistry goes, I can’t divulge how it would turn out, but let’s just say it gets a little crazy.’’

Lee was certain and confident that he would excel in 2 areas, horticulture, since Lee has landscaped several of his homes, and of course hitting the tubs, as part of the drum line in the school’s Cornhusker marching band. Guess again!

Horticulture…not so good. Lee, though well versed in the plant life of his homes was completely out of his element with the flora of Nebraska. ‘’I’m such a dumb ass.’’ Lee says. ‘’My first day in horticulture, we go out onto the campus, and I’m looking around. I’m like, ‘’Oh, no.’’ I don’t know any of this plant life. This is a whole different climate zone. Oh no, more work.’’

Well one would assume though that Lee, regarded as one of the world’s premier, top class drummers could lay waste to the Cornhuskers’ drum corps. NOT! First Lee had to adapt to the strict regimen of awaking early at daybreak. (Remember, this is the infamous rock musician from the Crue. Morning is not an option!)

Then Lee was less than enthused with strapping on the cumbersome, heavy drum set. (Strange when one considers that Lee is totally at ease when he has played drums for the Crue upside down inside a rotating cage, suspended in mid air over the audience!)

Adding to that, Lee says, ‘’The drum captain comes over and throws this huge notebook on my drums. It’s filled with sheet music. I’m like, ‘’Oh no!’’ When I play drums with my band or on my solo projects, I play by heart and by feel. I do know how to read music, but it’s been awhile. I’m like, ‘’What have I done? I’m going to look like a chump. I’m a drummer, and I can’t even make the drum line.’’

Lee says, ‘’Trust me, I was very surprised by those two things, because it was time to go to work, Tommy.’’ Well we all know Tommy may have put his best foot forward to go to college, but as they say, Don’t quit your day (or in Lee’s case…night), job.

While the press is having a field day over the rocker’s academic journey, wonder what his Motley Crue bandmates, Nikki Sixx, Vince Neil, and Mick Mars think about Mr. Varsity Letter?

One thing’s for sure for Lee, with Motley Crue currently reunited and enjoying one hell of a lauded kick ass international tour, he gets an A plus, raising major Cain on his drum kit with the legendary bad boys of rock in Motley Crue.

By Arlene R. Weiss © Copyright 8/13/2005

All Quotes By Tommy Lee © Copyright www.zap2it.com

No comments: